Iron supplementation & Constipation

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS/WED, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Re: Iron supplementation & Constipation

Postby Polar Bear » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:23 am

I press on the perineum if and when it feels that a stool needs some assistance on its journey.
How long - probably a minute or so, maybe two, maybe longer if needed, gently press/release/press/release.
How hard to press - gently firm, I think you would know yourself when/if you try it.
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:21 am

I do the same as PB. You can easily break it up - well maybe not easily, but without much work. You can tell from the touch what it needs to help make it smaller or break it up in some way.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Postby legsbestill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:22 pm

What iron supplementation are you taking? I have heard that iron bisglycinate (aka 'gentle iron') is less severe from a constipation point of view.

Never heard of that perineum pressing solution before - it's inspired - so obvious - like slicing bread before selling it - obvious and yet elusive until someone thinks of it.

Polar Bear

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Never heard of that perineum pressing solution before - it's inspired - so obvious - like slicing bread before selling it - obvious and yet elusive until someone thinks of it.

Never did I think I would be discussing this particular aspect of this particular subject.... and be happy to be discussing it. :roll: :roll:
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 am

Polar Bear wrote:

Never did I think I would be discussing this particular aspect of this particular subject.... and be happy to be discussing it. :roll: :roll:

There is a lot of that on this forum, lol!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 am

legsbestill wrote:What iron supplementation are you taking? I have heard that iron bisglycinate (aka 'gentle iron') is less severe from a constipation point of view.

Indeed - I felt the same when I first read about it!

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:21 am

To add to the perineum discussion...if you have a vaginal canal, you can really feel it easily! I learned that when I was in college, having a pelvic exam and the doctor said, "Oh, you need to defecate?" and I was horrified, lol.

Managing Your RLS

Return to “Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, Diet”