Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Re: Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

Post by debbluebird »

I'm getting anxious to try and wean off Methadon, but I need to wait. I'm sure I will have withdrawal symptoms, but I'm interested to see if I will have any RLS after that.
I was able to walk outside yesterday. It was warm enough.
I have now had 2 nights in a row of being able to sleep, 5 total nights now. Only had some mild spasms last night. Was able to sleep around them.
I wish there was a fix for the rest of you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Just hearing about someone else's successes makes me happy.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thank you. I'm not home free yet. I get different symptoms every few days, they sort of rotate. It's the nerves waking up. Last night was difficult. Lots of burning nerve pain in the groin. The difference is the area has gotten smaller, much smaller. Sometimes it's like pins and needles in my leg in different areas. Then there is still a lot of numbness in my thigh that didn't use to be there.
I always thought that my RLS and spasms originated from my back. No one ever suggested that.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Only had that bad pain one night. Next night a few spasms, but slept most of the night. Last night no spasms. Slept all night!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well done :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

A pattern seems to have developed. I sleep for about 2 hours, spasms wake me up or I just wake up for a bathroom break. Then I'm awake for 2 to 4 hours. Then I am usually able to sleep the rest of the time without spasms, but with bathroom breaks every 3 to 4 and up to 6 hours. Most nights total 12 hours, counting the first 2 hours.
I have been trying to start going to bed about 10 pm. I haven't done that in a long time. I would like to eliminate the waking hours in the middle. Mostly wide awake during that time.
Before RLS and later spasms, I slept 9 to 10 hours every night, sleeping straight through. Always went to bed at 9 pm all my life. Weekends I even slept more. I had a hard time when activities kept me up past 9 pm. I suspect that I slept through RLS, so I wasn't really getting all that sleep. I used to complain to my Mother that I was tired.
So I guess these 12 hour nights are me, trying to catch up. I don't know.
I feel sorry that all of you continue to have problems with RLS.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've had so many good nights and about 7 with no spasms at all. Last night spasms would hardly stop. I could get away with rubbing my leg a lot of the time, but had to ride my bike several times instead of pacing. I was up all night. I finally took an oxy about 7:30 this morning. Just slept 4 hours. It is so weird, because tonight I am libable to have an ok night tonight.
Majority of nights have been lately, I sleep a little, up awhile because of spasms, then I'll sleep 8 or so hours. I consider that an ok night. I guess it is going to take a long time for nerves to heel.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Here is hoping for 7 more good ones!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A blessed 8 hours. That's wonderful.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

It has turned out that every night is different. It is getting better most of the time.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Maybe it's going to be 5 steps forward and one backward. I hope at least it keeps getting better overall.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am past the 3 month post op. No more restrictions. Overall I am better. I think as time goes by it will just get better. I hope I will be able to reduce meds.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

It will be interesting to see if I have any RLS as I reduce meds. I have had 9 nights without spasms in the last 2 months. Still waiting for two nights in a row.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

So you are averaging one spasm-free-night per week.
Good luck with your rls as you reduce :thumbup:
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I think I will wait quite awhile before I try to reduce methadone.