Lyrica Cocktail

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Stainless

Lyrica Cocktail

Post by Stainless »

I started Lyrica four weeks ago as an afterthought phone prescription because the Neupro that my neurologist prescribed cost $800 a month out of pocket. I can't even remember Lyrica ever coming up with my GPs or neurologists and had a fear of the drug from the side effects listed in their ads.

This has been the best four weeks for my rls in decades. No daytime rls, only a little an hour before bedtime and fairly minimal side effects. I did get three all day low grade headaches, a week apart the first three weeks that lots of Advil could not alleviate. My PLMS that the neurologist thinks causes pain in my thighs is greatly reduced and the pain almost disappeared in days. Jury is still out on the neuropathy in my feet but it had been slowly getting better over the last year.

I'm on a cocktail of 2 mg clonazepam, 800 mg gabapentin and 1 mg Lyrica that together cost about $15 a month. I'm hoping I can reduce or eliminate one of these, probably the gabapentin because I know what stopping clonazepam is like. Been there.

I would not recommend this cocktail to anyone, it may be taking years off my life but I just hope it continues to work for me. It's been a long road.

I did not have much faith in the neurologist and think the Lyrica prescription was a hail Mary pass, but living without rls and pain is awesome. I've been on just about everything else except opioids and Neupro. I see him in a few days and I will be interested in his feedback.

Is anyone else out there fighting this disease with Lyrica? Can you tell me the good, bad and ugly. Thx, Rick

ViewsAskew

Re: Lyrica Cocktail

Post by ViewsAskew »

Stainless, what happens when you increase the gabapentin? Lyrica is very similar - a sister-drug so to speak.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Stainless wrote:I started Lyrica four weeks ago ...

This has been the best four weeks for my rls in decades. No daytime rls, only a little an hour before bedtime and fairly minimal side effects...
Yay!!
Blessings,
Holland

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Views, when the Neupro proved to be too expensive, I asked the neurologist's nurse and he said 800 mg was the max recommended. Previously I unintentionally took 2 pills a night for a week until I realized what I was doing and saw no improvement at all. The Lyrica worked in a day. I did not expect this to work.

I keep thinking I have side effects like muscle weakness and the headaches but they have seemed to resolved themselves. Another great night of sleep.

Yay!! indeed Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Fascinating...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

PerrySmith

Post by PerrySmith »

RLS was going to put me in an early grave. It was a 24 hr affliction when I would sit or lay to relax. I had been on Ropinirole for over 15 years and it just kept getting worse. It was torture getting off Ropinirole!!! I found a new physician three months ago after joining this site and learning what Ropinirole was actually doing to my RLS. I am now on 200mg Lyrica. My RLS is totally gone during the day and seldom noticed in bed and when I do notice it I am able to ignore it.

badnights

Post by badnights »

perrysmith wrote:RLS was going to put me in an early grave. It was a 24 hr affliction when I would sit or lay to relax. I had been on Ropinirole for over 15 years and it just kept getting worse. It was torture getting off Ropinirole!!! I found a new physician three months ago after joining this site and learning what Ropinirole was actually doing to my RLS. I am now on 200mg Lyrica. My RLS is totally gone during the day and seldom noticed in bed and when I do notice it I am able to ignore it.
Wow! From an augmented state - for years, undoubtedly - to being fully treated by 200 mg Lyrica alone. I didn't think anyone had that experience! I wondered if the anti-convulsants were useful at all, until someone here said she used nothing but gabapentin; and even then I thought no one who had augmented had had any success with them, yet here you are!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Stainless wrote:I'm on a cocktail of 2 mg clonazepam, 800 mg gabapentin and 1 mg Lyrica
- how much Lyrica?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.