Rotating Meds

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Stainless

Rotating Meds

Post by Stainless »

I saw a neurologist about the severity of my RLS. This is the first time I've used one beyond just a consultation. He added Lyrica to the mix of Clonazepam and Gabapentin I was already on. Worked like a champ for five weeks. Now, two months later, I'm about back where I started. My regular doctor wants me to wean off the Gabapentin at least. I don't know where I'll go next. Everything works so well for a while and then back to nights of torture. Has anyone had success rotating meds. Ropinirole, Lyrica and Clonazepam are the only things I have had success with. Thx

stjohnh

Re: Rotating Meds

Post by stjohnh »

I never tried rotating meds, but several who post on this board do, with varying success as I recall. I had my best results (prior to my iron infusions) with low doses of multiple meds. For you that might look like ropinirole 1/2 of a 0.25 mg tablet, continue clonazepam and Lyrica, add low doses of THC (medical marijuana) and kratom.

I guess you didn't have any response to gabapentin? The reason I ask is that ordinarily Lyrica acts pretty much like gabapentin (other than costing a lot more). If you had a partial response to gabapentin, I would use that rather than the Lyrica.
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Post by badnights »

You should definitley try it! I won't say more until my zopiclone has worn off - I shouldn't even be posting lol . But a comment on gabapentin vs pregabalin, it might be better to keep the pregabalin and lose the gabapentin because the latter is absorbed so erratically, it's hard to predict if it will be effective or not, so hard to manage your dose. Pregabalin is much better in that regard.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have done things to treat this disease that I'd never have thought I would do. Seems to me that anything is worth a try. You never know.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Thx for the responses. Last few nights have been tolerable I assume because the ebb and flow of pain. Another RLS variable.

I'm on a bucket list vacation next few weeks. I'm hoping to get a reprieve from the worst of RLS as usual when traveling. Knock on wood!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Stainless wrote:Thx for the responses. Last few nights have been tolerable I assume because the ebb and flow of pain. Another RLS variable.

I'm on a bucket list vacation next few weeks. I'm hoping to get a reprieve from the worst of RLS as usual when traveling. Knock on wood!
Knocking!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Stainless - Knock Knock
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I had an incredible 2 weeks in London and Portsmouth and the RLS backed off even for long jet rides. I wish I could count on a dose of vacation working and I would plan even more intense traveling. We won a cheap upgrade coming back from Virgin which was a godsend. I watched three movies and was home (plug for Virgin Atlantic).We did AB&B with two bedrooms. Every night we started together and she would take the second when I started kicking. But I slept through the night on this drug cocktail. 5 to 9 miles of walking every day also helped.

Now back to retirement. My goal is to get off one of these medications and a take long walk every evening before bed.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

:clap: :thumbup:

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Delighted to hear that all worked out so well for you.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm always trying to figure out the best times for my meds.
I recently increased my Methadone so I could wean off Gabapentin. I'm sleepy during the day and tonight I'm wide awake after an adjustment today. I needed more coverage at night, but this didn't work.
Back to square one.
Good luck to you.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Along the lines rotating meds I had an incredibly hard time getting my prescriptions filled in time for vacation. I would have run out of both clonazepam and Lyrica over two weeks. CVS (our pharmacy) at first told them I could get them on Thursday and filled the clonazepam. Because insurance covered a large part of the Lyrica I had to call them and beg to get it filled. They gave me a once a year exemption to fill Friday and said they called CVS. CVS said they would not fill until Monday when I was leaving. When I showed up Monday the acted like they had no record but ended up filling hours before my international flight. I asked both CVS and my insurance how to sync the meds so I could plan my vacations around that and neither knew how. Treated like a criminal because of the meds I take and talking about issues like I was the only human who had run into this. I can't imagine rotating controlled and insured meds. What a world.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Our NHS system here in UK, and specifically my medical practice allows us to order and collect our prescriptions a few days early on a regular basis. If going on holiday I've asked in advance and got my prescriptions issued a week in advance.

I can only imagine the terror and anxiety to wonder if your meds would be issued in time. It would be difficult to be carefree and look forward to a holiday if this issue was lurking and worrying away in a little corner of your mind. Especially if the pharmacy isn't as efficient as it could be.
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I had my Doctor write for a few extra pills, a larger amount for one month. Then I always have a stash. Also when I am gone without my husband, he can always pick them up and mail them to me. ( When I house sit for my Daughter)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This whole thing is crazy-making and just insane. I DO get that a small percentage of people would abuse it...but why are the vast majority of us punished for that?????

Managing Your RLS