New to group old acquaintance of RLS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
graycedee

New to group old acquaintance of RLS

Post by graycedee »

I am a 65 y.o. Woman. I have had RLS for about 20 years. I was well controlled on Mirapex for many years and last fall I went through the absolute torture of augmentation and DA withdrawal . I was very stable on 200-300mg of gaba pentin and tramadol twice daily. In the past 2 weeks I have increased my tramadol dose with RLS breakthroughs. I was placed on 2.5 mg of methadone and there,is no other way to put it- slept horribly and feel like sh**. Also had RLS around 5 am to boot. I finally took a tramadol and some gaba pentin not caring wether I died. Any suggestions? :?:

badnights

Re: New to group old acquaintance of RLS

Post by badnights »

Hi graycedee
So sorry to hear you're having these all-too-common problems. Methadone can have an alerting effect (all teh opioids can) on people with WED/RLS. You might try taking it earlier in the day, so that the alerting effect has worn off by bedtime. It has a long half-life so the symptom-relieving effect would still be active.

But it could also be that something in your life has changed recently to cause the increase in symptoms.The first thing that comes to mind is the tramadol - it's uncommon but not unheard of to augment on it. Maybe the increase in symptoms was augmentation? not as likely if it was sudden as opposed to gradual, I guess. I'm not sure if withdrawal from augmented tramadol is similar to DA withdrawal, - someone else here might know??
but if it is, you would have to wait it out, as you know from your previous experiences, and not use tramdol at all meantime.

There are other things than tramadol augmentation, though. Did you change your diet just before the worsened symptoms started? Did you start or stop taking a seemingly unrelated medication or supplement? Do you drink coffee later in the day than usual? ( you might try quitting coffee completely if you do drink it).

You might also want to try taking iron supplements, if you're not in danger of iron overload. If your ferritin level is below 100, you might want to try to get it higher by taking oral iron wiht vitamin C, preferably on an empty stomach.

I hope one of these ideas helps!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Beth's post was excellent!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

graycedee

Post by graycedee »

Thank you for your kind reply. I ended up taking 2 tramadol during the day six hours apart and the methadone at night. That worked beautifully. Tomorrow I will start on 2.5. methadone in the am and pm and drop the tramadol at the suggestion of my provider. I do believe that I was starting to augment on the tramadol but 2.5mg of methadone was not enough.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Nice! I hope it works. Feels great to get a good night's sleep after so many bad ones, doesn't it? :)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.