Travel

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
LessRest38

Travel

Post by LessRest38 »

I saw mention by someone of problems with travel. I find in late PM that long periods in the car are tough. Travel on a plane, especially in late PM, is uncomfortable and I do a lot of aisle walking. I wonder if there are any suggestions to combat this.

stjohnh

Re: Travel

Post by stjohnh »

Hi again,
Most of us with more than mild RLS have travel problems, just as you mentioned, cars and planes are problems, expecially longer trips in the late afternoon.

Travel in the morning
Be the driver if by car (better than passenger)
Walk around frequently
Hang out with the flight attendents in the kitchen
Get aisle or emergency door seats
Take Sinemet just before a long flight
Take an opioid before a long flight
Use compression stockings

Those are a few I can think of. I'm sure others will give some suggestions.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

On my last 11hour flight I pretty much doubled up on medications. Made sure I had a dose 90 minutes before take off and sit at the back of the plane beside the toilets. These are considered the worst seats. Not for me. I can get up and walk circles in the little space between the toilets and the galley without blocking the aisle because isn't there always a trolley making its way up or down.

Have to say I didn't sleep a wink during the entire flight but my severe RLS was controlled.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

If you don't need to sleep, then mentally alerting activities can hold things at bay (though they're not much use if you already have intense symptoms). Depending on your interests, reading something that requires concentration, doing crosswords or sudoku, doing a handicraft. Also if you have to stay in your seat, there are physical activities you can do every so often, turning your feet in circles, bracing your feet against the bottom of the seat in front of you and tensing and un-tensing your legs,pressing down with your toes on the floor as if you were going to stand up on your tippytoes, etc. The book RLS Rebel by Jill Gunzel has a lot of these tricks; if I were at home right now I would look up a few more.

I have flexible knees and ankles, so I always kick my shoes off and pull my legs up under me in various ways. I can sleep like that, with my hands half under my butt so my wrists are bent (I get it in my arms too, the stretch helps with that).

That said, I just had to endure 3 days as a passenger in a car. I should have known better, I will never do that again. ARGH.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jeragan

Post by jeragan »

I find the airline stewards don't understand RLS and refuse to allow standing for very long in the back of the plane during the night. If I sat in my seat, I would have some very angry seat mates because my legs continually jump all over the place. The meds just don't cover it. It is excruciating for sure!

badnights

Post by badnights »

Some of the airline stewards do understand, some have no clue. For them, it;s a safety thing. I have a note from my doctor saying that I need an aisle seat. I've never had to use it but I always imagine it would be useful if I needed to justify standing up a lot because it says an aisle seat allows for "leg movement which improves underlying medical condition while travelling".

The Foundation also used to make a Special Accommodations card, which I am asking if they can distribute again. It said the holder of the card while in flight or during periods of inactivity would be aided in obtaining symptom relief by being allowed to walk about, remain standing, have an aisle seat with leg room.

I also sometimes stand beside my seat, and sit when the cart comes by, or kneel on it facing backward and to heck with the person behind me who feels uncomfortable!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The Foundation also used to make a Special Accommodations card, which I am asking if they can distribute again. It said the holder of the card while in flight or during periods of inactivity would be aided in obtaining symptom relief by being allowed to walk about, remain standing, have an aisle seat with leg room.
I have this card in my purse, it is old and crinkled a bit like myself :) Airline stewards have always been understanding of my need to stand and walk about always at the toilet/galley area and I have never even needed to show my card, a few words with them has been enough.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation