QUALITY CENTERS: HOW DOES IT WORK

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
James7

QUALITY CENTERS: HOW DOES IT WORK

Post by James7 »

I've noticed the quality centers are scattered throughout the US and for me, at least, are all located out of state. How does it work once you make an appt with one of their drs? For example, I've exhausted all the normal meds subscribed for RLS and none of my drs are wiling to give opioids, not that I've asked...but, they've told me. Not that I want an opioid option, but if that is necessary...can one of the quality center drs prescribe opiod meds for me in my state? OR do they make recommendations or work with my drs back home? How does it work? I've made an appt with Dr. Walters in Franklin, TN and have also made an appt with Dr. Rye in Atlanta. Any experience with them to share would be greatly appreciated. And, how long are the appts usually?

Polar Bear

Re: QUALITY CENTERS: HOW DOES IT WORK

Post by Polar Bear »

I am in the UK and have no personal experience of the Quality Centres.
I hope someone comes along soon who does have experience and can answer your questions.
In the meantime, please know that at Quality Care Centres you will without doubt see RLS Experts who are at the top of their field.

Regarding a prescription from out of State I do understand that at least one of our members at a time, had a regular monthly prescription sent from out of State (though not necessarily from a Quality Care Centre).
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

James7

Post by James7 »

Thank you...all replies are appreciated

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi James7. I have not used one, but I see one of the docs who has worked with the Foundation, so I would think it would be similar. I knew him first because of my work with the Foundation and initially he worked with my PCP, so not sure my experience would be considered normal. I eventually flew there for years and only recently moved to California to make it easier. While I was in Illinois, he would FedEx me my scripts. It definitely added to the cost, but it was the only way I could get them. In working with him, he tried non-opioid options as well - some of the less well-known and more rarely prescribed options, usually in combination. He always keeps up on my bloodwork. We also have done iron infusions.

I do seem to recall that the docs at Johns Hopkins were severely limited at some point regarding what they could do. Either the state or the hospital (cannot remember) restricted them from prescribing opioids to people from out of state. Because of the opioid crisis, it could be more groups or states are doing such things. It might be good to call both Walter's and Rye's office and ask - say that you don't want to take them necessarily, but that if they are considered the next step, will they be able to give them to you if you are out of state.

There are several members who have used one of them, so hopefully one or more will reply. However, often once people get help and things are better, they sometimes stop coming by regularly.

Also, several of them have posted about their experiences. You might be able to find them using the search tool. Just not sure what term they would have used for you to search for!

Both of the docs you scheduled appts with are well known in the RLS community and for the work and research they do/have done. I liked Dr Rye immensely when I met him about 15 years ago - we happened to chat for awhile and he was very personable. He also has RLS, so really gets it!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

James7

Post by James7 »

Thank you so much for your response!

brossman

Post by brossman »

I live in Illinois and started going to Mayo in Rochester, MN (a quality center) after my local doctor mishandled my augmentation and impulse control disorder on pramipexole. It took 4 months to get my initial appointment. When I called Johns Hopkins at the same time, they told me they were not accepting any new patients then. I believe that has changed now. My Mayo doctor has prescribed Tramadol for me, after trials on Neupro and Lyrica. I hand delivered the first prescription to the pharmacy and we discussed mailing or Fed-Exing the next prescriptions. So it can be done, although it might be a state by state policy.