myoclonus

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
fuz_mind

myoclonus

Post by fuz_mind »

has anyone experienced increased myoclonus after an increase of their DA? it's not just happening before sleep. wondering if that is a known side effect of DA?

stjohnh

Re: myoclonus

Post by stjohnh »

My occasional jerks didn't seem to change with pramipexole.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I find that when I am augmented, I get many more PLMW - periodic limb movements during wakefulness. My legs - and arms - would jerk a lot.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

ViewsAskew wrote:I find that when I am augmented, I get many more PLMW - periodic limb movements during wakefulness. My legs - and arms - would jerk a lot.
Curious. I remember this from augmenting too, but for me it was never periodic, hence I never called it PLMW.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Frunobulax wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:I find that when I am augmented, I get many more PLMW - periodic limb movements during wakefulness. My legs - and arms - would jerk a lot.
Curious. I remember this from augmenting too, but for me it was never periodic, hence I never called it PLMW.
Please help me understand...when you say it wasn't periodic, I am not following. Did it just happen once in awhile rather then several in succession?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

thanks for sharing. did you get it in the day as well? i noticed increased frequency on my legs initially at night, now i get them in the day from time to time; now on my arms as well after my ropinrole was increased to 1.5mg

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Frunobulax wrote: Curious. I remember this from augmenting too, but for me it was never periodic, hence I never called it PLMW.
Please help me understand...when you say it wasn't periodic, I am not following. Did it just happen once in awhile rather then several in succession?
Yes, exactly. But it would usually force me to get up and walk around, so this may have prevented further jerks.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

fuz_mind wrote:
thanks for sharing. did you get it in the day as well? i noticed increased frequency on my legs initially at night, now i get them in the day from time to time; now on my arms as well after my ropinrole was increased to 1.5mg
During augmentation, it was 24/7. PLMW at any point while awake, PLMS during sleep (when I rarely did sleep), and RLS constantly (even during sleep).

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Frunobulax wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:
Frunobulax wrote: Curious. I remember this from augmenting too, but for me it was never periodic, hence I never called it PLMW.
Yes, exactly. But it would usually force me to get up and walk around, so this may have prevented further jerks.
I don't think mine was rhythmic or regular, either. I would have the movements even while walking or standing. It seems to be very typical of augmentation when augmentation is on the more severe side.

Managing Your RLS

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

it seems better now that my ropinirole has been cut to 1.25mg..........

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

fuz_mind wrote:it seems better now that my ropinirole has been cut to 1.25mg..........
That is good.

Managing Your RLS

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

ViewsAskew wrote:
fuz_mind wrote:it seems better now that my ropinirole has been cut to 1.25mg..........
That is good.
i'm wondering if this is a sign of augmentation? if it improves with reduction of medication? because my neurologist and his learned colleagues r of the opinion that the leg and hand jerking are a sign that i need more ropinirole

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

fuz_mind wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:
That is good.
i'm wondering if this is a sign of augmentation? if it improves with reduction of medication? because my neurologist and his learned colleagues r of the opinion that the leg and hand jerking are a sign that i need more ropinirole
In my experience and that of people here (anecdotal, but over 15 years), daytime jerking is augmentation. Of course, it can be other serious things!

When I augmented and learned what it was, I slowly decreased the pramipexole. When I did, the jerking diminished, as did the horrible over-the-top symptoms. When I stopped it completely, the jerking came back. As time went by, over a few weeks, the jerking greatly reduced. It took quite awhile before all daytime jerking stopped - it was in my hands, oddly enough, that lasted the longest. And, in my hands it was minor - a flutter when typing. But, it did stop.

That is just my experience, though. I do know others have mentioned daytime PLMs when augmented. How many? No idea. But, enough that I would feel safe saying there is a good chance that it is related to augmentation.

Managing Your RLS

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

ViewsAskew wrote:
fuz_mind wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:
That is good.
In my experience and that of people here (anecdotal, but over 15 years), daytime jerking is augmentation. Of course, it can be other serious things!

When I augmented and learned what it was, I slowly decreased the pramipexole. When I did, the jerking diminished, as did the horrible over-the-top symptoms. When I stopped it completely, the jerking came back. As time went by, over a few weeks, the jerking greatly reduced. It took quite awhile before all daytime jerking stopped - it was in my hands, oddly enough, that lasted the longest. And, in my hands it was minor - a flutter when typing. But, it did stop.

That is just my experience, though. I do know others have mentioned daytime PLMs when augmented. How many? No idea. But, enough that I would feel safe saying there is a good chance that it is related to augmentation.

thanks for sharing your experience! appreciate it!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I am not aware of having PLMs either awake or asleep.
However i do have occasional jerks. Not every day. Maybe not for several days.
Actually, thinking about it, it could be a couple of weeks since I've had any. Then there are days when I could have half a dozen random jerks. Usually the shoulder or arm, sometimes the leg, and always on the right hand side of my body.

They are much less since I stopped taking Tramadol. On Tramadol my leg would shoot out. Might even have gone from below me.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation