RLS - but only once in a great while

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Jonesy

RLS - but only once in a great while

Post by Jonesy »

Hi! RLS was brought to my attention by an email I receive daily from my gym describing the symptoms and common ways to relieve it. I don't know for sure that I have RLS...but let's see what you guys think, thanks! I am now 28, female. I am very active and have been a runner for many years. First noticable episode: 14 years old, driving cross country...I felt as if I needed to run 50 miles to get rid of the sensation in my legs. 2nd noticable Episode: At age 28, did leg lifts at the gym, then ran only about 2-3 miles. That night I thought I was going to cut my legs off at the hip. :x I was tired and felt as if I, again, needed to run about 50 miles...My legs were unbelievably restless. I have sciatic nerve problems from many years of running. So here are my questions: Is mine from just exercise? Will it worsen as I get older? Do you think that my "known" episodes are too far apart for it to be RLS? Are there different extremes of RLS? As I read more I will probably have more questions (my husband thinks I'm crazy :) ) but I figured I would ask anyway...thank you!!

jan3213

RLS but only once in a great while?

Post by jan3213 »

Hi--I'm Jan and I'm NOT a medical expert. I've had RLS for about 20 years. Mine started very sporadically. The sensation I had was a creepy-crawly feeling in my legs and an uncontrollable urge to move them. The only relief I got was to get out of bed and walk. Is that how you feel? I did not experience that every night. In fact, sometimes months would go by, AT FIRST, before I would have another episode. It does get worse with age. However, I'm not saying you have RLS. You need to see a doctor or, as one gentlemen on this site often suggests, have a sleep test. I go to a great neurologist. The key is to find a doctor who KNOWS about RLS. You'd be surprised how many medical personnel don't know what RLS is or are not sympathatic. I wish you lots of luck. And, feel free to "talk" to any of us at any time. That's what we're here for.

Jan

jumpyowl

Welcome!

Post by jumpyowl »

Do some more reading and then ask specific questions. We shall try to answer. :)
Jumpy Owl

Jonesy

Thank you!

Post by Jonesy »

Thank you, Jan! With my second episode, I ended up getting up and just stretching for an hour or so...it was awful. I was in tears it was bothering me so bad (i think the lack of sleep didn't help either :wink:) Thank you again for the advice, I'm going to feel out my primary physician today to see what she thinks.

Thank you again!!

jumpyowl

Hi, Jonesy

Post by jumpyowl »

You wrote:
I'm going to feel out my primary physician today to see what she thinks.

You probably have to do more than that unless your doctor is extremely good.

Tell the doctor that you have RLS and is she is willing to treat it in co-operation with you (you are willing to do some of the research), or knows somebody she can refer you to? I am afraid you will have to be assertive. :)

You yourself could find somebody like that on this web site. I would help but do not know where about you live.
Jumpy Owl