Clonidine

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SquirmingSusan

Clonidine

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I'm surprised that this medication doesn't have heading in this message board yet. At least, I couldn't find one.

Is anyone else taking this and having success with it? I was getting desperate because between methadone and kratom, I'm not sleeping at night lately. In desperation, I borrowed a half a clonidine from my dog. (Ahem, I know, I don't recommend this, but I haven't been able to get in to see my neurologist for a while.)

This stuff is fantastic. I'm sleeping through the night and taking less than half as much kratom, and no methadone. Needless to say, when I do see my neurologist in a couple of weeks, I'll be asking for my own prescription. I may also drop him an email in the meantime. My blood pressure tends to run a bit high, especially when at the doctor, so hopefully it will help knock that down a few points.
Susan

stjohnh

Re: Clonidine

Post by stjohnh »

I haven't. I scanned the search results for clonidine, seemed like it had been tried a fair amount and a few had good results, most didn't. Keep us posted.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It used to be brought up LONG ago - like the early 2000s. I think when the DAs became de rigueur and then the gaba trio was found effective, all energy into those other options completely stopped.

A few ppl here and there have talked about it, but not often. Over time, we have had ppl with ADHD who found that being treated helped resolve their RLS. Some versions of clonidine are used to treat ADHD, do that sort of makes sense.

Glad it is working!!! I have noticed that my BP is high when I drink coffee. I originally just stopped drinking coffee when I went to the drs office, lol, so it wouldn't be high, but after some reading, I think that I should likely treat it. I wonder if I can ask for clonidine specifically instead of something else...it isn't one of the common options these days, I don't think.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Post by QyX »

I've tried Clonidine like everything else that could work in theory. It did not work for me.

It is well known that Clonidine can help with sleeping disorders, especially when connected to ADHD.

However it seems that in most cases the hypnotic properties don't last very long and drugs like Clonidine have their own unique set of side effects when tolerance kicks in and you have to increase the dose. Nevertheless, please keep us updated. I experimented with this drug for quite a bit ... unfortunately no luck.

Please keep us updated. Clonidine needs to be investigated further. When you already tried lots of stuff and nothing is really working, Clonidine is always worth a shot, in my opinion.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've been dealing with augmented RLS for a long, long time. Have gone through the whole litany of medications, and have mostly been managing with kratom, with an occasional boost from methadone. Oddly, when we traveled to Japan last fall, I had to get a prescription for methadone because kratom is illegal in Japan. My neurologist is willing to prescribe methadone, but is also very happy to have me take kratom. Nothing is working lately, so hence the clonidine. It's likely time for iron infusions too.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, went to doc the other day for the eczema and my BP was high (often is after caffeine). When she said it was high, I said I knew it was after cofe and she asked, "So, what are you going to do?" I said I could stop coffee...then remembered this. I said, Hey, how about clonidine? I can take it only when I have coffee if it gets high and it might help the RLS. She agreed.

I used it three days in a row - same meds the first night just in case. Second night reduced methadone (not the pramipexole) by about 1/6. Same, third night. Fourth night reduced it by 1/3, still same pramipexole dose (I am in a phase where I get about 50% coverage from each, so, not a huge decrease, but glad to get the methadone down). Then I saw the hematologist that day. Nurse took BP and said, "Your BP is a little low - 98/62."

Huh! I guess it lowered it, alright, lol. Today instead of just taking it when I had coffee, I tested my BP. It was 126/78 - didn't seem high enough to take one. But, if it IS helping reduce the methadone, I am conflicted.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That's great if it helps you reduce the methadone, Ann!

I did get my own prescription, and it is very much a miracle drug for me. I had no trouble talking my neurologist into prescribing it, especially since my blood pressure that day was 148/98. (But I had ridden my trike 15 miles to get there, and had raised my body temperature and been stung by a bee, so who knows what was going on.)

My ferritin was 8 and my iron saturation was 25%. No wonder I get out of breath riding my trike and walking up hills. I start a series of 3 iron infusions on Wednesday.
Susan

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

SquirmingSusan wrote:...
My ferritin was 8 and my iron saturation was 25%. No wonder I get out of breath riding my trike and walking up hills. I start a series of 3 iron infusions on Wednesday.
Are you anemic? Very likely you are with a ferritin that low. If doc didn't say, what was your hemoglobin or hematocrit, those are the tests that tell if you are anemic.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I continue to take 33% less methadone, so am happy about that! I think I might be able to go a bit lower as I have NO symptoms, but until I get used to the AD prescribed for the fibro, I am keeping things as they are.

Your ferritin is definitely low! Yay for the infusions.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You can just feel the joy when one of us managed to lower a medication.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

stjohnh wrote:
SquirmingSusan wrote:...
Are you anemic? Very likely you are with a ferritin that low. If doc didn't say, what was your hemoglobin or hematocrit, those are the tests that tell if you are anemic.
He didn't test directly for anemia, just iron levels and ferritin. They are all very low. I know that low ferritin can cause exhaustion, even without being anemic. I'm just looking forward to turning down the intensity of the RLS a bit.
Susan

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

This interests me personally, as I've been prescribed 0.025mg clonidine up to 4 times daily for my tramadol taper/withdrawal

I may take it solely for this reason though , as my BP is normal or often low .
My family doctor said it would be high during withdrawal

I think I'd consider it long term if there wasn't the hypotension factor
AFAIK clonidine is more effective in higher doses for RLS than what I've currently been prescribed

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

Polar Bear wrote:You can just feel the joy when one of us managed to lower a medication.
Yup

Absolutely