Is bonine better (less trigger) than Dramamine?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
meiatflask

Is bonine better (less trigger) than Dramamine?

Post by meiatflask »

Just got off the webinar this morning discussing triggers. They specifically mention Dramamine as a trigger, but did not mention Bonine. I did search the forum, with several posts having bonine (meclizine) on medications to avoid list. But no posts that discuss both Dramamine and Bonine.

I am heading to Europe next week, with the overnight flight that takes off around 6 pm, right at the beginning of my “trouble period”. For decades I have taken Bonine with every trip, as I get motion sick. But have not really had a long plane ride since RLS began about 2 years ago. Debating which “poison to pick” RLS or motion sickness.

Does anyone have direct experience comparing bonine to Dramamine Specifically as a trigger? I would like have bonine as an option on the flight, but really don’t want to make my RLS worse. I am confident that my ropinirole will keep the RLS in check on the plane, combined with massage/walking/compression and all my normal strategies. Hate to have the bonine negate that.

Thanks,

Bill

Rustsmith

Re: Is bonine better (less trigger) than Dramamine?

Post by Rustsmith »

In the book "Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome", the authors indicate that bonine (meclizine) is known to be an RLS trigger. Their recommendation for a motion sickness med that has not been found to be a problem is the scopolamine patch.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.