Referral to medical marijuana dispensary experts

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
QyX

Re: Referral to medical marijuana dispensary experts

Post by QyX »

stjohnh wrote:QyX. I'm so sorry. I think you have the most severe RLS of anyone who posts on this forum. I can't imagine how you got through medical school. Are you finished, in residency program? How long to go before you practice as an independent doctor?
I am not going through anything. I can't continue medical school for almost 2 1/2 years now... I would have 3 1/2 of 6 1/2 years left if I would be healthy enough to continue

I am aware that I am a really bad case ... but it mainly the insomnia, the pain, the restlessness in the body and the legs is very well under control ... but the insomnia is very difficult to crack ... Cannabis is helping a lot, it is just not helping fast enough ...

For me it is absolutely impossible to establish a stable day-night rhythm. I've gotten so used to be awake for 20 to 30 hours before I am able to sleep the next time. That's how its been for the past 2 1/2 years now ...

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

QyX wrote:... I can't continue medical school for almost 2 1/2 years now... I would have 3 1/2 of 6 1/2 years left if I would be healthy enough to continue

I am aware that I am a really bad case ... but it mainly the insomnia, the pain, the restlessness in the body and the legs is very well under control ... but the insomnia is very difficult to crack ... Cannabis is helping a lot, it is just not helping fast enough ...

For me it is absolutely impossible to establish a stable day-night rhythm. I've gotten so used to be awake for 20 to 30 hours before I am able to sleep the next time. That's how its been for the past 2 1/2 years now ...
Wow, I didn't realize you had dropped out of medical school. I'm so sorry for the problems you have.
Blessings,
Holland

wantok

Post by wantok »

And you can't cook THCA (I mixed it with creamy peanut butter) because it becomes THC.

QyX

Post by QyX »

stjohnh wrote:
QyX wrote:... I can't continue medical school for almost 2 1/2 years now... I would have 3 1/2 of 6 1/2 years left if I would be healthy enough to continue

Wow, I didn't realize you had dropped out of medical school. I'm so sorry for the problems you have.
I have not dropped out officially. I would be able to continue but my health doesn't allow it at the moment and I am not very optimistic it ever will.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm sure you have looked into all your options but wouldn't it be wonderful if you could avail of a dispensation of some sort. That your RLS could be recognised as a condition requiring support whereby you could work to your own timetable. Not exactly your own timetable........ but you know what I mean.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I was given a sort of medical leave for half a year or a year, I forget how long. I didn't have to pay tuition for that time and it didn;t count toward the max 7 years or whatever it was that I had to be finished in. But there was a limit to how much of that the university would give.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

QyX

Post by QyX »

badnights wrote:I was given a sort of medical leave for half a year or a year, I forget how long. I didn't have to pay tuition for that time and it didn;t count toward the max 7 years or whatever it was that I had to be finished in. But there was a limit to how much of that the university would give.
The system here in Germany is way more forgiving. There is no real upper limit here and tuition fees are relatively low (600 EUR / year but it also includes the usage of the public transportation system here in Berlin).

In the end it is all about my health.

It seems like I am responding to higher doses of CBD in combination with THC. However at the moment I don't have enough CBD to substantially increase my dose and I am waiting for my insurance the cover the costs so that I can try higher doses of CBD.

badnights

Post by badnights »

If you're not sleeping enough, it can get to seem like nothing is possible or nothing is worthwhile. I wish for you to find a way to sleep normally and to never lose your remarkable fighting spirit.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

QyX wrote:
badnights wrote:I was given a sort of medical leave for half a year or a year, I forget how long. I didn't have to pay tuition for that time and it didn;t count toward the max 7 years or whatever it was that I had to be finished in. But there was a limit to how much of that the university would give.
The system here in Germany is way more forgiving. There is no real upper limit here and tuition fees are relatively low (600 EUR / year but it also includes the usage of the public transportation system here in Berlin).

In the end it is all about my health.

It seems like I am responding to higher doses of CBD in combination with THC. However at the moment I don't have enough CBD to substantially increase my dose and I am waiting for my insurance the cover the costs so that I can try higher doses of CBD.
I am sure you have thought of all your options...wondering if you can parlay the classes taken so far into a different medical degree, such as a Physician Assistant.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

wantok

Post by wantok »

I have a similar problem as QyX in that I need around 100 mg daily of THCA to control my PLMD/RLS legs (and still have to resolve having it last longer than two hours). I could not tolerate the amount of THC I would need because I would get so high. Also I learned that while THC and THCA are similar, THCA has some of its own distinct qualities. THCA has a limited shelf life, even in the cold and dark without oxygen it will convert over time to THC. (It is possible to buy THCA in a dispensary that has already "gone off".) I was going to start eating marijuana plants (if the marijuana is dried or heated it has converted to THC). There are some passionate, caring people in the business of selling medical marijuana world who know it is too expensive for patients with all of the taxes, etc. Often their lives have been changed for the better with marijuana. Also at this point, many of these growers/distributors are local people. This will change quickly as smaller businesses will be forced out by larger ones during this transition to legality in California. I have been told by more than one knowledgeable marijuana expert that while it is usual for tolerance to be built up to the psychoactive effects of THC, that the healing cannabinoids/terpenes of a full spectrum product should still have their therapeutic benefits.