mattress ideas?

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
burgluroonie

mattress ideas?

Post by burgluroonie »

My husband, I think, has RLS. I am a light sleeper. This is not a good combo. His sudden jerks and twitches wake me up and prevent me from falling asleep, and make me irritable. Any suggestions on what kind of mattress arrangement can allow us to sleep together, or at least next to each other, i.e. two mattresses next to each other?

becat

Post by becat »

Hi and Welcome to the board Burgluroonie,
According to one of the RLS cummunities best docs.....
the Temperpedic is best for couples that have your same problem.
The reduction in movement is the reason why.
Not cheap, but may be worth it for the sleep and the rest.
If this fails to help, it might mean double beds in the same room or a bit apart for your comfort.
Glad you have found the board and please tell your husband he is welcome here as well.
Glad to have you here.
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Lynne's suggestion is a good one. We bought the Tempurpedic for the same reasons - my DH was very frustrated with the constant awakenings because of my kicking. We didn't want to sacrifice sleeping together. It has worked very well; it does isolate most of the movement and is exceptionally comfortable, too. There are several brands beside the T; you do need to try them in person as each feels quite different. Even the T has three different options/thicknesses that greatly affect how comfortable you might find it.

There is one other option that works well and we almost bought. You can buy two twin mattresses and twin frames, scoot the beds together, and put a special mattress cover on it that "joins" them together. A woman on another message board is very happy with that solution. The movement is even more isolated than with the Tempuredic.

Either way, it's great that you're willing to find a solution. Many people successfully sleep in separate beds, but it can have a horrible impact on couples. It is a primary source of intimacy, not just sex, and if you remove it you have to find ways to replace it.

Good luck with your purchase and hope it works as well for you as it did for us.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Our bed has a VERY firm mattress and the frame it is on just doesn't move. Since I can't afford the Temp. mattress, I bought a very thick "egg-crate" mattress pad from Wally world to put under the sheets. That cuts down on lots of movement problems and is a lot more comfortable for me. I would love to try one of the Temp. mattresses and maybe someday will be able to. This works for now.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

icrochetafghans

Post by icrochetafghans »

[quote="becat"]
According to one of the RLS cummunities best docs.....
the Temperpedic is best for couples that have your same problem.
Lynne[/quote]

It seems to me that these mattresses would be hot. Is that the case? I really hate to be hot in bed, (one of my migraine triggers)I can't even get into bed if he has been sitting on my side for awhile. The mattress is too hot and needs to cool down.

We have been thinking about one of these mattresses. We have not been able to agree on a mattress in 20 years of marriage. (he has been on the couch for 10 years--guess what that has done to our relationship.) Also, he snores which is another reason he is on the couch.
Diane

Aggie Mom

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I have one of the pillows and it doesn't seem to get hot sleeping on it. A lot of that could depend on your sheets also. Of course don't use flanel or knit sheets but maybe a high grade cotton or even linen would help. Otherwise, go to a store that sells them and try it out for half an hour. The darn things are so expensive (for me anyway) that I would imagine a salesman would be happy to let you "test drive" one for that length of time if he thought you were serious about getting one. Especially if you told him why.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

Hi to Ruby and Icrochet,
Love the name Crochet, LOL I can only make one certain stitch while crocheting, so I'm called (with love of course) a crochetter.LOL
I also live in Texas and we did not go with the Temperpedic for the heat reason.
I am sure if we ever had a winter it might be different, but we decided that our electric bill was high enough this summer and past summers and choose a good 6-800 spring mattress, with a pillow top already on it. It is not too bad.
I have also slept on a sleep number bed and that was not too bad, but no real movement restriction for my husband when I'm thrashing around.
The top of the line for spring mattresses is Sterns and Foster. However, we found a wonderful lush Beauty Rest and have been very please.
Good luck with this one and catch a sale on them if you can.
Hugs Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You know, I was really scared of this mattress because of that. DH is hot, hot, hot. In the winter, he's like a personal furnace for me. In the summer, I am his personal air conditioner. I thought HE'D hate it, not me.

He LOVES it. We've had it for two years and not once had he ever complained that it's hot. We keep our bedroom about 76 in the summer and 66 in the winter. We do sometimes have the ceiling fan on in the summer, but not always. We sleep with a sheet and a very light throw. He had that off most of the time, but is fine with the sheet.

Having lived in Texas, I am sure I would be happy with it there, too. That's what those $400 a month electric bills are for in the summer time :wink: .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

icrochetafghans

Having lived in Texas, I am sure I would be happy with it there, too. That's what those $400 a month electric bills are for in the summer time :wink:

Ours was $575 last month! We also keep the ceiling fans on 24/7, in every room of the house.

We have also tried the sleep number bed. It is now in the spare room.

Maybe we will think about this mattress when we can get the money together. A new a/c unit ($6000) and a new roof come first.
Diane

Aggie Mom

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

crochet what did you think of the sleep number bed? hubby has been eyeing one, but i have my doubts. what part of texas you in? i am from east texas, between lufkin and nacogdoches.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

icrochetafghans

I am from Houston.

As far as the sleep number bed, It is in the spare room for a reason. At first it was ok, but before long it was miserable for me. My hips got sore and my back was aching every morning. While you can "soften" the mattress, it is still and air mattress. It is like camping all year round. The air would just shift to the sides, and you are still "suspended" on a piece of rubber.

My husband likes it. I think it has something to do with a womans hips being wider. Another couple I know has one, and they have the same complaint. She hates it because her hips get sore, and he likes it.

Our teenage daughter had our old bed that we gave her when we bought the sleep number. She wanted a sleep number too, so we ended up trading with her. She loved it at first too, but soon complained a lot. Now that her older sister has left for college, she too has moved off the bed and taken her sisters smaller bed. She couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Understand, this is all PERSONAL opinion.
Diane

Aggie Mom

mich711

Post by mich711 »

Actually, what works better for me is using a futon on the floor. When I use a regular bed mattress, which of course has springs, the whole bed jerks along with me, and along with that shaking, I wake up. Now, I use a regular futon mattress (no springs), and I am less likely to wake up after I kick.

Let me know, people, if this works for you.

Mich711

mikeyvon

mattress

Post by mikeyvon »

Foam in the home

Foam is the only way to go and I found the best service and prices at (foamorder.com) out of San Francisco. I got a king for $1000 a few years ago and it changed our lives. They have the temper also but it my opinion you don't need it for the extra expense. I think the Taladay latex foam in super. Call them and tell them what you need....they're nice people. I visited their facility in San Fran and it's quite impressive. It's in the mission district...great pubs, art, and restaurants too!!

mike

BTW hi to everyone. I just got back from visiting Carl in LA. He says hi to all. So where's the next meeting? Back east I hope.

mike

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hi Mike...long time no see.

doety

Dux

Post by doety »

After being so frustrated about our bed, needing a new one, tired of all the hype and trying to decide between the two best sellers, We lost our heads one day and actually bought one of those Duxiana beds. Yes, it cost a small fortune. I don't care. I've sent my kid to college and my house is paid for. This is the most wonderful thing. I had always been told I needed a firm mattress. Turns out, that's not true. This is soft, you sink into it, we can't feel each other move. I'm sure it hasn't helped with RSL, I didn't expect a bed to, but it just makes me happy to be in it when I can. Come to think of it, I slept about 10 hours last night.