Yellow mustard?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
dmhead47

Yellow mustard?

Post by dmhead47 »

My first post to the board. I suffer from RLS through my mom (thanks mom) who inherited it from her mom. I've tried several things and have typically used the Hyland Leg Cramp formula with some success. I have to take at least 3 of them to get relief though, which is above the recommended dosage. Still, this is a homeopathic remedy and so fairly weak.

Recently a friend said she had read about using yellow mustard for leg cramps. Well, to me RLS isn't the same as cramps, cramps suggest pain and RLS is, well, just an undeniable urge to move the legs every 5 to 10 seconds. Still I thought I'd try the mustard. It isn't fun to down a spoonful of yellow mustard but I will say the 3 times I've experimented with it so far it has helped. It doesn't make the sensation totally go away but it blunts it so that I don't feel like I must move my legs. One article I read suggested that it was the vinegar in the mustard that was the "active" ingredient. Well I tried just a spoonful of vinegar instead, no result. A subsequent spoonful of mustard again helped.

As we all know, some things help some people, and don't help others. I haven't seen the yellow mustard idea thrown out here yet so I thought I would.

Edit: A Yahoo or Google search with "yellow mustard cramps" will find several articles detailing the use of plain yellow mustard to treat leg cramps.

ctravel12

yellow mustard?

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi dmhead47 and welcome to this group. That is great that the yellow mustard works for you and hope that it continues. It is true that what works for one may not always work for another, but thanks for sharing that with us.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time