Sleeping Meds

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Sleeping Meds

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Everyone.
I have been taking Temazepam 10mg for 2 months to help with staying sleep. It certainly does help. I don't walk the floors just as much as I used to, on a good night I still wake up 3 or 4 times but manage to get back over again (usually - I say this with my fingers crossed). Today I was at doc getting my prescription refill and I mentioned that the Temazepam did not give me a full night's unbroken sleep, so doc has prescribed zolpidem 5mg (1 or 2 as required). I said I'd give it a go, though I know that it is short acting compared to the Temazepam which is longer acting. Also I wonder perhaps I should just have taken maybe 15mg Temazepam but I was a little concerned as it was a benzo. And the zolpidem (Ambien) is not a benzo, and would be recommended by Dr B.

However I will try the zolpidem starting tonight and see how it goes. Doc will work with me on this. He says we may have to try several to get what suits best.

For anyone in the same position, I will keep you posted with regard to how it works with me.

Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty, do take care stopping the temazepam. You may be one of the 50% who experiences no problems...but some people have difficulties stopping after just a month of taking a benzo regularly, even at a low dose. I was surprised when that happened to me and my doctor didn't even think it would cause that much difficulty.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thankyou Ann,

I had just thought of myself going from one sleeping med to another, I hadn't considered the fact that I was coming off a benzo (how could I not have thought of that??).
Well last night I took the first Ambien (zolpidem) at 5mg tho doc says I can have 10mg if I wish. There didn't appear to be much difference even tho the Ambien is shorter acting. I got to sleep fine at half past midnight, woke at 3am, back to sleep and woke at 6.30am with a twitchy leg, (waking with a twitchy leg would be 'normal' for me). Just got up as my alarm goes off at 7am weekdays anyway.

My daughter in law, who is a nurse, says I will probably not have a hangover effect with the Ambien, which I likely had with the Temazepam and didn't realize.

I wonder would I have had a reaction as yet, from not taking the Temazepam, or would it take a few days?? Time will tell.

Betty
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It took abut 3 days before I noticed a slight reaction. After 5 days, I thought I was going to die. At first, I was just achy; I even wrote a post here asking what fibro felt like, as my hips just hurt constantly.

So, if you notice anything at all, immediately go back to your dose and then taper. You can't tough it out - benzo withdrawal, in those that are bothered, can take months, if not even years. It took me about 7 months, longer than I took it.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Don't want that to happen, especially this weekend as it is our wedding anniversary and we are going away for a few days.
If I had a withdrawal reaction I wonder how I would change from Temazepam to Ambien, when both are taken at night. How would I taper down the Temazepam while commencing the Ambien, doesn't sound right to be taking any Temazepam at all whilst taking Ambien. If I had withdrawal symptoms - does a half of each sound feasible, and then lower the Temazepam and increase the Ambien.??

Of course I might not have any withdrawal symptoms, but I will take the Temazepam with me in case I do, and then I could take some of it as you suggest.

Perhaps I am 'crossing bridges' before I need to. This is a habit of mine.
Betty

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I belong to the other 50%. I went off and had immediately 2 days that I felt a bit miserable, but nothing worth mentioning. I was on T for 7 months (0 mg). So fingers crossed; I hope your transition from T to Z will run smoothly.

Corrie

mackjergens

Ambein/side affects

Post by mackjergens »

Have you researched Ambein?? If not you might wish to do so, I tried it several yrs ago and found myself sleep walking. I have heard of others having such problems with ambein. Of course we all know that each med acts differently on each person, but I think its wise to research every drug we take and know what MIGHT happen, so we can inform those around us who might notice things we dont.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, I had heard of this. I am on the lowest dose, and took it last night without ill effect. fingers crossed.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just to update anyone interested. When I was going from T to Z, I took a half T and a half Z for a couple of nights, then a quarter T and a 3/4 Z, and so on. I have gone from the T to the Z without any problems.

Thank you for your warnings. I may not have thought to change over in this way without the warnings.

Betty
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad it went well...many people do not have a problem and I'm glad you were one of them.

And, how was the anniversary?

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Had a great anniversary weekend, chilled out, walked, ate too much, got lovely flowers etc. etc. After a cra..y first marriage, just shows that things can come good, :lol:

And !!! no probs with the Temazepam. Thanks again.
Betty

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Congratulations on the great anniversary, Betty. And I'm so glad the Ambien is working for you.
Susan

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

What's the saying about "second time around." Congrats and many more happy ones.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.