scary night time experience

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
fuz_mind

scary night time experience

Post by fuz_mind »

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone of you has had such an experience at night with your RLS. I'm quite spooked because I have no idea what is going on or if this is normal?

Basically, my legs were trashing around uncontrollably in bed but I was very sedated and groggy. According to my husband, he had to stop me from getting out of bed because I was very unsteady (which I don't really remember). I vaguely recall feeling very agitated but that was about it. apparently the only way my husband could keep me calm was to hold me and rub my legs until I fall asleep.

It''s the 2nd time I have had such an experience. First time it happened, I was in hospital so I had put it down to being a bit delirious or disoriented after waking up from the sedation. But with this happening at home, I'm confused.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

debbluebird

Re: scary night time experience

Post by debbluebird »

This happened to me after my knee replacements. I believe my legs were agitated by the surgeries plus all the meds they put me on at the time. Legs were jumping off the bed a foot or so. Then when I got up to bathroom, I was disoriented from the meds. I got lost in my own bedroom.
So for me the mental stuff was from the meds and the jumping legs was from the surgeries. Just agitated. I was taking about 5 meds.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is scary, isn't it?

It happens to me when my meds are not enough to cover the symptoms, but the medications I take make my very sleepy/tired. It is like a dream state (nightmare, more like it) and I am sort of aware, but it takes a LONG time for me to wake up. I can tell I am kicking and moving and am aware of the sensations and urge.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I know that experience well. I'm very careful now but because of bad experiences in the past, I almost obsessively warn people on this board to never take sleeping meds unless their sensory and urge-to-move symptoms are well controlled, because the WED/RLS symptoms will beat up on the sleeping pills every time. I imagine a person with severe RLS/WED could be almost comatose from sleeping meds yet still walking around (or trying to) from the RLS/WED. It's the most horrifying experience ever, stumbling around like a zombie, barely aware, with torture in your limbs. And the WED/RLS is worse than usual because it's triggered by relaxation, and the sleeping pill relaxes you.

I think that's what happened to you - your sleeping meds might be too strong relative to how well your WED/RLS symptoms are being treated.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

thanks for normalising the experience. :) rls is just driving me crazy.

can i also find out if anyone feels agitated when the legs are just rubbing against each other at night and one is sort of half asleep?

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

badnights wrote:...

I think that's what happened to you - your sleeping meds might be too strong relative to how well your WED/RLS symptoms are being treated.
That's what I think too.
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Post by badnights »

can i also find out if anyone feels agitated when the legs are just rubbing against each other at night and one is sort of half asleep?
Probably we all do when the symptoms aren't controlled well enough.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Probably we all do when the symptoms aren't controlled well enough.
Agreed here with badnights. Comes with the RLS territory.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation