Lyrica (Pregabalin)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mafs

Lyrica (Pregabalin)

Post by mafs »

Lyrica is reasonably new and is having great results with Fibromyalgia. Does anyone know if this drug will upset my RLS?

Take care
Gayl :roll:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not a clue! If you don't get any responses here, maybe ask Dr B - www.rlshelp.org. If you haven't been there, he has a section of patient letters. You can post about your RLS concerns and he will answer. He also has a list of drugs to avoid.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

lyrica

Post by cornelia »

No Mafs, Lyrica will most likely not bother your RLS, as it is an anticonvulsant. It will probably help. Someone I know is on it, together with Mirapex and she says it works fine.

Corrie

mafs

Lyrica(Pregabalin)

Post by mafs »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to see my Neuro tomorrow so I'll ask about it. I was also going to ask about Mirapax, even though Cabergoline (Cabaser) has settled my legs, I'm still only getting about 4 hours sleep a night.

Take Care

Gayl

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Mafs, Cabergoline is supposed to be the DA with the longest duration, so for 24/7 RLS. Cabergoline is also supposed to be used on its own, with no add-ons like Lyrica etc. Mirapex gives insomnia to a lot of people, but with an add-on of Lyrica or Neurontin probably not. You know it; we are all different. Neurontin makes me sleep, definately.

Corrie

mafs

Lyrica (Pregabaline)

Post by mafs »

:evil: These Drs make me so angry. So much for being a Neurologist, he should have known that you take Cabergoline on it's own. :x

I wasn't happy with him with the 1st visit, $145 for 20 minutes, I felt like I was being rushed out the door for the next patient. If I'm not satisfied tomorrow I'll hunt around for a new Neuro that actually wants to help.

Take care
Gayl

Lyrica

Post by Guest »

I started going to a pain clinic for my RLS last week. The doctor tried to put me on Lyrica, and told me to stop taking my Neurontin. I went to get it filled but my insurance doesn't cover it. I can't afford $138 for a prescription so I told them to keep it. If anyone here is taking it and it is working for you, please let me know! I may be able to get my PC to call my insurance company.

Also, I've started taking Pergolide. I went to a sleep doctor and he told me to increase to 2 mg a day. I started throwing up with this dosage. Anyone else had the same experience?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Looks like Lyrica is for peripheral neuropathy; it's similar to Neuronin, but without ANY studies as of yet related to its treatment for RLS. Since it's relatively new and not for RLS, I doubt many have tried it. Here's a link to the So Cal Support group where ALL RLS drugs are discusssed:

http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm

While you are on this site, check out what he says about Pergolide. It is effective, but does have some risks. Nausea is common with the DAs especially when first starting it or when increasing doses. You might try cutting back to your previous dose where you didn't have problems and increase it much more slowly.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mafs

Lyrica (Pregabalin)

Post by mafs »

This is just an udate on legs and FM. I'm still taking 1 mg Cabaser in the morning and my legs have been great, I also take 150mg Effexor XR in the morning.

I took a printout about Lyrica for my FM to my Dr and I have been on it for about 2 weeks now. I have never felt better, I have no pain, sleeping all night and have so much energy. I mowed the grass the other day, something I thought I'd never do again and I still had no pain. I was puffed out and that's all.......too many smokes!

I know Lyrica is not cheap but to me, it's worth every penny.

Take care

Gayl

Hotwheels03

Lyrica

Post by Hotwheels03 »

My Neuro wouldn't help on getting my Lyrica approved through my insurance. I told my family Dr.,and he called and got it approved right away. I take it for RLS and Diabetes,seems to be helping, But with Diabetes it rejuvinates the nerve endings too,so it may take a little longer .

hotwheels03

Hydrocodone

Post by hotwheels03 »

does anybody else take this for RLS ? As far as relief Hydrocodone seems to help more than anything. I know it just masks the pain,but hey if it works !!!!!!

wigglypain

Lyrica

Post by wigglypain »

I have been taking 50mg three times aday and there seems to be little relief form. I went up to 150mg twice a day and my ankles puffed up like a pastry.I am back down to the 50mg dose. Dummy me, forgot to get my refill and the pain stepped it up a notch, so it helps me alittle.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Lyrica (Pregabalin) is a new anticonvulsant medication approved by the European Community (July 2004) and the U.S. FDA (September 2004) for the treatment of epilepsy and painful diabetic neuropathy.

Pregabalin is a derivative of Neurontin etc. (Gabapentin). Both drugs share a similar mechanism of action: binding to calcium channels and modulating calcium influx as well as influencing GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid). GABA is a neurotransmitter, a chemical that carries messages between brain nerve cells. GABA inhibits the transmission of nerve signals, thereby reducing nervous excitation.

Because it is more potent than Gabapentin, Pregabalin achieves effectiveness at lower doses. This increases its therapeutic index with respect to Gabapentin and should lead to fewer dose-related side effects. Like Gabapentin, Pregabalin will undoubtedly be used for many "off-label" conditions, such as treating anxiety, mood and sleep disorders.

This is a new anti-seizure drug that also has an indication for treating the pain associated with shingles and diabetic neuropathies. There are no studies with this drug and RLS, however it has the potential to work similarly to the other anti-seizure drugs. Sedation may be a significant problem.

This medication comes in 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 225, and 300 mg tablets. It is usually dosed at 50-100 mg three times per day or 75-150 mg twice daily.

Did search for Lyrica - Seems like the best place to post this. *Big Grin*

The dr I am currently seeing, wants to be helpful I am trying not to micromanage my treatment, yet I am slightly frustrated.

He suggested adding Lyrica to my daily Ultram. Had a cupon for a seven day trial package, take the cupon and his script to pharmacy and get the meds. After I left the office I read the info, it was for either 7-50mg or 7-75mg.

Maybe I am being too over cautious, but I prefer to start LOW dose when beginning a new med. till I know how it affects me. Does anyone know if this can be halved?

Thanks Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

What a dense day... he selected the 75mg... hahahazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Hazel, I think it is very sensible of you to start low. I have a lot of experience with Neurontin and believe me, if you don't start low you can be in trouble as regards to extreme brainfog and clumsiness.

Is the Lyrica packed in capsules? Neurontin is and although you are not supposed to cut them I do with a pill cutter when I have to up the dose, otherwise I would be a walking zombie.

You will probably find that you sleep quite well on Lyrica, I suppose. Maybe you don't even need a benzo. I didn't with Neurontin.

Corrie