10 days on requip nausea question

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jlady

10 days on requip nausea question

Post by jlady »

I am on day 10 of requip.

.25 mg and .50 mg - didn't notice any differences or side effects.

1 mg
day 1-nothing,

here is where the trouble begins

day 2-nothing at night until around 3am, at that point slept real hard until my normal wake time (7 40am), woke up nauseaus went away after couple of hours.

day 3-got real nauseaus about 1 hour after taking lasted for about 1 1/2 hours, got real sleepy, slept good till about 3am, slept on/off from then, woke up slightly nauseaus nothing major.

My concern is the nausea, will this go away after a few days?? I am thinking of stopping it because of it.

Also why do they gradually increase the dosage??

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi jlady,

the dose is increased gradually until you reach the dose that works for you , then stay with that dose. Don't go higher than you need to.

what about splitting the dose and take part of it early in the evening followed later by the rest of the dose. It may help cut the nausea, and remember that the medication takes about 90 minutes to work.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

blryan

Post by blryan »

The nausea went away after a couple months for me. It also helps to eat something with it. Also, if the symptoms have already started, it takes forever for Requip t control them. Much better to get "a jump" on it and take the med before symptoms start.

Barb

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jlady, as Polar Bear said, (but as doctors don't always tell us) Requip should be increased only until it works. Now, with RLS that is apparent. With PLM, it's not.

So, if the .50 dose controlled the RLS and you could sleep, no need to increase. If it didn't, then you increase. Now, if the RLS still isn't under control, then you need to go higher. One option, since it's bothering you, is to get a pill splitter and only move to .75 instead of 1.0. See if that works both in terms of nausea and controlling the RLS; if it does, you have a solution.

blryan had some good suggestions, too.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jlady

Post by jlady »

I think I am going to stay at .50 for awhile. I can't take nausea.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, I'm with you. NO nausea allowed!!!!!

Fortunately for me, a very small amount of Mirapex worked for me and I didn't have any nausea with it. I would have ditched it quickly otherwise. I know some people work through it and find a way to get over it, but it's got to be one of the worst possible feelings.

Then again, I hate most things that don't feel good, lol, and have an extremely low tolerance to anything that makes me less than optimal. I'm such a baby!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

ViewsAskew wrote:Then again, I hate most things that don't feel good, lol, and have an extremely low tolerance to anything that makes me less than optimal. I'm such a baby!

My wife and I have talked about this.

I have RLS and my pinched nerve, my anxiety, and some sporadic back problems (I feel older than I think I look). She has cervical arthritis, in the vertebral facet joints, along with some more in her knees and the bottom joints of her thumbs. We both have to keep problems at bay daily to feel okay.

The thing we talk about is, "Is our 'okay' the same as a problem-free person's 'okay'?" We both take meds to feel our 'okay', but I suspect our 'okay' is nowhere near as good as it was when we were carefree kids, or the way it is for people who weren't cursed with, or didn't cause themselves to have, dysfunctional equipment.

I mean, when I think about my pinched nerve and the pain it produces in my chest, and how I feel pretty okay most of the time now, I realize... it's actually still present, to some degree, at all times. I've just gotten used to that level of (dis)comfort. I use the meds to keep it from being worse, but I only feel good about it because it's not as bad as it can be. However, this is actually not much different from how I felt the first time I noticed it, and went to the ER.

Our theory is that if you put a 'normal' person in our body, even when we're feeling 'okay', they'd immediately say, "What the @#*?! is this?!?"

My point is that I bet you're not really being a baby, objectively. :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Aiken, that was a very profound post.
I agree totally with you.
I think our 'ok' means 'not too bad'
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Phew! For a minute there I didn't think I was ok...I mean not ok, well ok.

Hope everyone is okey dokey!

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, I so want you to be right, Aiken...but I really am a baby about nausea, lol.

But, in some ways, I am not. I think most people who sleep relatively well would NEVER be able to do what all of us on this board do...and every day. And, to your point, Aiken, my DH have had the same discussion as we are in a similar boat. I am amazed sometimes at what the amount of punishment the human body can put up with.

Managing Your RLS

jlady

Post by jlady »

I am also a baby about nausea.

I have suffered from frequent nausea for years now, have had all the tests. I do have a hiatal hernia.

It varies from a mild annoyance to flat out can't function/chills/vomiting feel like I am dying. (luckily that part is only maybe 2-3x a year).

That is why I am not wanting anything to upset my already upset stomach ie: requip.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My heart goes out to you! That would be just miserable. I completely can see why the Requip is not high on your list of things to put up with.

Managing Your RLS